Friday, October 14, 2011

Welcome to Michigan = Welcome Home

During my first year of my Ohio tenure, the Welcome to Michigan sign went from this



To this


While most probably don't even notice since its not that big of a deal, it definitely made my heart sad.  Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the Pure Michigan marketing campaign.  Its amazing, and if memory serves me correctly, its one of the top ten advertising campaigns of all time.  But this new sign just doesn't have the personality that the old sign did.

I'm sidetracking from the point of this post.

I drove home yesterday for the first time since the school year began.  From my previous posts, its been obvious that I've been struggling with quite a few things the past few weeks.  Which sets me up for what happened during this drive.

I was a little over two hours into my drive - had already gotten off of 75 and back on to 23 to cross over and continue my trek north.

I was in the left lane, behind a vehicle when I looked down quickly at something in my car and then back up.

When I looked up, the SUV that had been blocking my view somewhat had moved over into the right lane.  There it was - the Welcome to Pure Michigan sign.  Within a split second, and with no personal control, an uninhibited, absolutely pure and unadulterated smile consumed my face and my spirit. I was so excited to see this landmark and to cross over into home territory.  After a few seconds, I realized what had just happened.  My whole being and affect flipped like a switch at that first sight of this simple landmarker.

When the realization hit me - I burst into tears.  

I don't want to be unhappy in Ohio.  I want to be okay wherever I am.  And I feel like I should be able to be.  But I'm not.  And I'm not sure how to change it.  But, I do know one thing.  Michigan makes me happy.  And there is nothing like being home and with my family.

I crossed the border with an amazing mix from my dear friend CfH - and with the windows down, the smell of burning Michigan leaves, and the fresh Michigan air in my face and through my hair - I was consumed by my emotions and Nickel Creek's "Jealous of the Moon".

No comments:

Post a Comment