Monday, March 21, 2011

Welcome to Maine - The Way Life Should Be [Part I]

I just arrived back in Michigan after a 3.5 day trip to Portland, Maine.  Kerry and I left on Thursday evening to visit cousin Chad at the current site of his semi-suspended nomadic adventures.  In true "Kerry" form, St. Patrick's day decorations were very important even though we were going to be traveling for 4.5 hours.  She even brought a bow tie for chad to wear when we got in.  Observe -



  Friday morning I spent finishing up 3 finals [and I will elaborate more on this in my next post].  This ended up being alright since Chad had a meeting to go to at 11 anyway.  Friday was pretty laid back overall.  Chad finally got back and we walked to downtown Portland along the Promenade.  Here is a view of Promenade from just around the corner of Vesper St. -



  Yup - the name of the road down by the water is called the Promenade - or, The Prom, as it is affectionately called by the locals.  We stopped at a little hole in the wall place for some seafood chowder.  Kerry and Chad got the seafood chowder in bread bowls and I got the Crab roll.  Let me clarify - I'm not a big fan of seafood.  So, the fact that I ate safood over the weekend is a big deal.  My stomach turned, however, when I found a less than desirable piece of crab in the mix of crab meat.  It took me a few minutes to get over the the nausea before I could finish my lunch.  Kerry and I parused some fo the little shops in the area and then met up with Chad at an awesome little bar that had a TON of awesome beers.  We had one then we walked back to Chad's place.  Kerry and I bit it and napped until a little bit after 8.  We got up, went to Whole Foods [beeteedubs - that store is brilliant], and then made an amazing dinner of grilled chicken, red and white cabbage sauteed with onions in peanut oil [um - yum. Making this most definitely], and barley.  The three of us dined with Lauren [Chad's artsy fartsy hippie dippie roommate].  We played a round of Fill or Bust and we hit the hay.  Next up - Acadia National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment